Thursday, November 22, 2012

Postage Guide for eBay Clothing Sellers

I know what you are thinking:  “That sounds like the dullest subject anyone ever decided to write about!”  Well, that is correct.  However, sometimes you have to pay attention to a few dull details or you will quickly be handing over all of your profits to the post office.  No one, except the post office, wants that to happen.

This guide will be broken into three main categories:

Beginners 101
1.  First Class
2.  Priority
3.  Parcel Post, Express, and other options

Intermediate 201 (coming soon)
1.  Supplies and stuff
2.  Introduction to postal zones
3.  Priority Regional Rate Boxes

Advanced 301 (coming soon)International Shipping







Part I.
Beginners (101)

Oh, the mistakes I made!
The first thing I had ever sold on eBay went like this:  Before I listed the item, I took it down to the post office and had it weighed, then I listed it with calculated shipping for the buyer--based on their zip code.  Once the item sold, I then took it back to the post office, waited in line again, was talked down to by the postal clerk, purchased my over-priced postage and merrily went away.  Next, I had to go home and manually add a mile-long tracking number to the eBay item and hope for the best.

There has to be a better way!  I started hearing about these new “Flat Rate” boxes--where you could just stuff them to maximum capacity and pay one simple price.  I was sold!  My next listing was set up and sold (for way less than I had imagined)  but I was happy that I could just shove the items in this box and pay the flat $10.85 fee, print the postage myself, and 2-3 days later my item was in the hands of it’s new owner!  This owner promptly gave me positive feedback, but gave me only one star for S&H cost.  GREAT!  I guess $10.85 is too much S&H to pay on a $3 sweater.

I also have a confession to make.  The post office, the people who work there, and the entire system of mailing packages scared the bejeezus out of me!  We always fear that which we do not understand, right?  In school they never taught us much about our great postal system and how to wade through the multiple options available, and especially how to do so without the clerk talking down to us.  Until eBay, I knew how to address an envelope properly, where to buy a stamp, and that my letter went in the big blue metal box on the corner.  Mailing anything larger than a standard letter made me so nervous, you would think someone just told me I had to file my taxes, by myself, using the long form!

Where do I start?
It’s really not as complicated as you think!  In this guide, I will walk you through the main types of postage options available:  First Class, Priority, and Parcel Post.  I will also teach you how to get the best postage prices for your buyers, without absorbing the costs yourself, and whether you should offer your customers calculated postage or flat rate postage.  You will know how to set up a multiple item discount.  Finally, we will discuss the pros and cons of international shipping and how to go about it.

This guide and the prices contained in this guide are current as of October 2012.

First of all, I would like to lead with the good news:  You never have to go to the post office again!  Going to the post office is for old ladies and you no longer have any reason to go there!  That must be a relief and I will give you a moment to let that absorb in!

You will need two items:  a printer and a postal scale.  If you do not have these items, you must immediately head over to eBay now and start bidding on them!  The postal scale does not have to fancy!  It doesn’t even really have to be a postal scale--I am currently using one that was designed for weighing food when you are watching your calories!  Currently, you can get a nice one on eBay for about $7, including S&H.  This will be one of the best investments you ever made!

Always print your postage directly from eBay.com
Now that you have the necessary equipment, you can print all of your postage directly from eBay!  There are several great reasons to do this, including:

You will save up to 32% by taking advantage of the USPS Commercial prices  (Eventually you may become a power-seller and then you can receive USPS Commercial Plus pricing, and will save even more money!)
Delivery confirmation is included.
Your buyer will be immediately notified that their package has been sent and they will receive a link, so that they may track their package.
All of your shipping and tracking information will be in one place for you to easily access it.


First Class Mail Parcel
This is the easiest part of all!  If your item and it’s packaging weigh 13 ounces or less, than you are in luck!  You will most likely nearly always want to choose this very inexpensive, reliable, and quick shipping method.  The downside:  You have to buy your own envelopes, boxes, or packages.


*These prices are the USPS Commercial Prices available through eBay.com, as of October 2012.  These prices do include delivery confirmation.

Restrictions on First Class Mail Parcels:
Maximum weight of 13 oz.
Up to 108” in combined length and girth.
Most hazardous materials cannot be shipped.
Priority Mail
Since most things weigh more than 13 oz., the most common type of mail you will use when mailing clothes will be Priority.  I use a combination of three different types of Priority mailing options:

Flat Rate Envelopes and Boxes
Standard Priority Mail Packages
Regional Rate Boxes (will be covered in Part II)

Each of these options have pros and cons and I use a combination of each one, depending on the situation.  You are entitled to have free mailing supplies sent directly to your home, free of charge!  I recommend that you create an account on USPS.com and order a variety of each type as soon as possible.

I particularly like Flat Rate Envelopes and Priority Mail Tyvek Envelopes for clothing items.  Flat Rate Envelopes start at $4.90 and you don‘t have to consider weight, making them the least expensive Priority Mailing option.  However, they are not very strong and they do not hold much. 

Package contents must reasonably fit within the Flat Rate Box or Envelope.
Maximum weight is 70 lbs.
Can't include any hazardous materials.

If it doesn’t fit in the “Flat Rate Mailing Envelope” you will have to use either a “Flat Rate Box” (which are really over-priced) or you will have to send it based on weight and zone.  You can use any of the other Priority Mailing boxes and envelopes on the USPS website, which as you know, can be delivered to your home, free of charge!

The final (and often best) Priority option is Regional Rate boxes, but we will cover those in Part II.

Parcel Post and Express Mail
It’s nice to offer these services to your customers, but I have never had anyone opt to pay for Premium Express Mail.  I suppose if it were 3 days before Christmas, you may find this could benefit your customer.  Anyhow, it doesn’t cost you anything extra to offer it and eBay recommends it.

Parcel Post is a necessary evil.  If you are selling an entire wardrobe or huge lot, you may need to offer Parcel Post to keep the price somewhat reasonable.  Please tell your buyer that it takes a long time to receive a package this way and give them some other option, just in case they need the items before the season changes.

Parcel Post typically takes about 2 weeks, but in some cases it can be even longer.


Helpful websites:
Zone Charts
http://postcalc.usps.gov/Zonecharts/
Postage Calculator
http://postcalc.usps.com/
Current USPS Pricing Charts
http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals/dmm300/Notice123.pdf


1 comment: