Thursday, October 25, 2012

Thrift Store Thursday!

Every Thursday I plan to give real-life examples of money I made shopping at thrift stores and re-selling the items on eBay.   

 

Here are some recent items that I picked up and made a nice profit on!

Last Friday I hit 2 local Salvation Army stores near my house and they both had "Yellow Tags" 5 for $5 so I grabbed just about every maternity item with a yellow tag in both stores!  I spent $50 (plus tax) and walked out with 50 items in total.  


This Liz Lange Maternity dress was NWT (new with tags) I sold it BIN (Buy It Now) for $14.99 (plus $5.99 S&H) the same day I listed it!  I wanted to ask more than $15, but that's what the retail tag said, so I felt uncomfortable asking more than that. 
The Post Office charged me $3.28 to ship the dress, eBay charged me .50 for the Insertion Fee and $2.10 in Final Value Fees, and PayPal charged me .91 to collect my money.  After all that (and the $1.00 I paid for the dress) I made a net profit of $13.29
  
-$1.00 Cost of dress at Salvation Army
+14.99 Sale Price
+5.99 S&H paid by buyer
-3.28 cost to ship
-0.91 cost of PayPal
-2.50 eBay's cut
$13.29 Net Profit

 

 

Here is another example:

I found this gorgeous suit by Larry Levine for Dress Barn on a ONE DOLLAR rack at a local Consignment Shop!  The retail tag was still attached and the MSRP was $129.00.  Needless to say, I was elated when the sales clerk confirmed the price!  The first time I listed it at $45.00 for 7 days and didn't get much attention, so I re-listed it for $39.99 and it sold the very next day!

-$1.00 Cost of suit at local consignment store
+$39.99 Sale Price
+7.99 S&H paid by buyer
-7.14 cost to ship
-1.69 cost of PayPal
-5.30 eBay's cut
$32.85 Net Profit


These are only 2 examples of the 92 things that I have sold on eBay in the last 31 days!  Some have brought more profit and some have brought less profit, but ALL have brought SOME profit! 

I regularly hit 2 local Salvation Army stores every Friday they have some color tag on sale 5 for $5 and I go to the Disabled Veterans Resale store every Sunday when they have 5 items for $1!  (How could you not profit off that?)  I only buy items that are NWT or EUC and I try to stick with better labels.  That's my entire system!

Please share which thrift/goodwill stores are your favorite and which items do you look for?

No comments:

Post a Comment